Perimeter of a Rectangle Lesson
Rectangle Perimeter Formula
The formula for perimeter of a rectangle is given as:
P = 2(l + w)
Where P is the perimeter, l is the length, and w is the width.
Perimeter of a Rectangle Example Problems
Let's work through a couple of example problems together to practice finding the perimeter of a rectangle.
Example Problem 1
Find the perimeter of a rectangle with a length of 12 and width of 5.
- The length and width are given to us. Let's plug the given dimensions into the formula.
- P = 2(l + w) = 2(12 + 5)
- P = 2(17) = 34
- The perimeter of the rectangle is 34.
Example Problem 2
A rectangle has a perimeter of 15 and a length of 5. What is the width?
- Let's plug the given dimensions into the formula, then isolate w to find the width.
- P = 2(l + w) → 15 = 2(5 + w)
- 15 = 10 + 2w
- 5 = 2w
- w = 2.5
- The width of the rectangle is 2.5.