Multiplying Negative Numbers Lesson
The Rule: How to Multiply Negative Numbers
The result of multiplying negative numbers is given as:
- Negative number times negative number = positive number
- Negative number times positive number = negative number
- Positive number times negative number = negative number
This is because multiplying some number by a negative number flips the sign. So, if a positive number gets multiplied by a negative number, the positive number's sign gets flipped to negative.
Likewise, if a negative number gets multiplied by a negative number, the negative number's sign will get flipped to positive.
Multiplying Negative Numbers Example Problems
Let's go through a couple of example problems together to practice multiplying negative numbers.
Example Problem 1
- The negative 4 will flip the sign of the positive 3.
- (-4)(3) = -12
Example Problem 2
- The negative 10 will flip the sign of the negative 2.
- (-10)(-2) = 20